Thursday, July 30, 2009

Morning snack

I just posted some pics and information on what I feed my Great Danes in the morning. It is just a snack that gives me the opportunity to add supplements that are best given twice a day.

Food my dogs eat

4:00 pm

Camelot l and Camelot ll similarities.

When I adopted Camelot ll in November of 2008 he was named Dane. Whenever I called that name he seem to get nervous. I decided to rename him Camelot since he reminded me of him in some ways. He quickly took to that name and I actually felt good about someone carry the name of my favorite Great Dane of all times.

Camelot ll was 1 1/2 year old when I adopted him. He did not come with any papers at the time. I figured he was born in February which was the same month as Camelot l. Since I did not know the date I decided to pretend he was born on the 17th, same as Camelot l. It would easy to remember.

Two months later I finally got the paper on Camelot ll and his date of birth was February 17th!. My heart missed a beat and I could not believe what I read. Same date as Camelot ll, what are the odds of that happening? Well 1 out of 365 I guess, but still. So the adoption of Camelot ll was meant to happen.

Camelot ll is becoming more and more like Camelot l. One thing Camelot l often did was to come into the bathroom when I brushed my teeth to get one of his ears rubbed. . Early in his life I did this one time and he must have liked it so much that he never forgot. I liked this moment and never discouraged him from doing it. He sometimes drank water directly from the faucet too.

I tried to get Camelot ll to come into the bathroom so I could continue this tradition. He never wanted to, he was actually afraid of getting anywhere close to the bathroom. Then one day he came to the door opening and I scratched his ear a little and told him he was a good boy. Over the next days he kept coming when I brushed my teeth and became a little more brave each time. Then after about a week he decided to come all the way into the room and stand next to me while I rubbed his ear. Now he comes in every time. I like it very much. It's a special tender moment and another proof that he slowly getting more and more comfortable and secure in his new environment. He is such a great dog and I'm so glad he came to me.

No comments: